Comfort, Play, and Teach
A Positive Approach to Parenting® is a parenting approach to support your child’s healthy development. These three parenting actions work together to generate responses from children that transform everyday interactions from the ordinary to the extraordinary. Comfort, Play, and Teach builds parenting confidence, strengthens the parent-child bond, enriches the moment for the child and parent, and, ultimately, opens a world of possibilities for you both.
Comfort Your Child
Comfort is the first thing that children need from you. When you comfort, with kisses for a “boo boo,” give hugs when she is scared or reassuring words and a gentle touch to let her know you are close by, your child feels secure, loved and valued.
Play With Your Child
Play is the “work of children” and you are the most important person in your child’s world. When you join in your child’s play, helping to build a tall tower or pretending to be a king or queen, your child learns to explore and discover the world and his role in it.
Teach Your Child
Teaching is how you help your child learn. When you teach your child by sharing and including him in your experiences, expanding on the knowledge he has or by being a role model, he learns how to think, solve problems and get along with others.
Why it Works
When you comfort, play with and teach your child, you learn to recognize and support the uniqueness of your child, motivate your child to be all that he can be and establish the foundation of a lifelong warm and respectful relationship with your child.
- Is simple, practical, relevant, easy to understand and to do, with no need for special equipment.
- Builds on what your child can do.
- Builds on what you can do as a parent.
- Helps you understand your child’s current capabilities and the kinds of behaviours and skills you should be watching for and supporting.
- Gives you the opportunity and choices to support your child’s development based on his age and stage of development.
- Stimulates a positive reaction from your child, which in turn provides strong, positive reinforcement for you.
- Is for every parent.
- Provides a common language for professionals and parents to talk about parenting.